Friday, June 15, 2012

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!

You guys! 

EVER has been picked up for PUBLICATION 

Curiosity Quills Logo = I'M IN LOVE
Just LOOK at their logo. Are you kidding me? We are a match made in Heaven. HEAVEN I tell you! 

Pull up a chair, pour some champagne, and I'll give you a brief story of how this awesomeness happened. 

Here are a few things I've learned in my journey:

Queries suck. 
The synopsis killed me. 
Contests did a fabulous job of making me feel like the biggest loser ever.

But wait just one minute .... 

It was a CONTEST that lead to this amazing announcement! WHAT!?  I know! I know! It's crazy!

Back in May, I entered The Wilde's Fire Editor-Judged Contest, hosted by Sharon Bayliss. The judge was author and editor Krystal Wade from Curiosity Quills. When the contest opened, I submitted the plot snippet from my query and my first 500 words of EVER, as well as posted a blog post for other contestants to visit and add their critique.

Then I waited.

Then comments started trickling in.

Then I revised, based on the wonderful points and observations made by my peers.

Then I resubmitted via email.

AND THEN I WAS CHOSEN AS A RUNNER-UP! 
Woohoo! I was so happy! I was asked to submit the first three chapters to Krystal Wade at Curiosity Quills. I did so immediately, thinking I'd get a little feedback, which would be awesome, and then I'd continue on my querying journey.

Well guess what? Here's where it gets really good.

Within a matter of hours, Krystal wrote back to tell me that she was very impressed and wanted the FULL manuscript! EEEEK! I quickly sent it. (Obviously!)

Within three days, Krystal contacted me with an offer of publication.  

An. Offer. Of. Publication. *faints*

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I then nudged a few agents and other publishers who had my work, or my query, gave them a small time frame in which to respond, and waited. 

But you want to know the truth? 

I knew it would be Krystal and Curiosity Quills. Something kept telling me that my home (EVER's home) was with Curiosity Quills. Maybe it was a gut instinct. Maybe it was God. Maybe it was Krystal's honesty and excitement. 
Maybe it was the AMAZING skull-tastic website and logo. (Did I mention how much I love that?) 

But whatever it was, I went with it.

Here I am, making it OFFICIAL!  *squeeeeeeee*
(PS. Is this my dorktastic "super happy" face. Now you know.)



Krystal Wade is now my AMAZING editor, and EVER will soon be published (AAAH!) by Curiosity Quills. I am beyond thrilled, and beyond blessed, and beyond even finding the appropriate words to describe how incredible this feels! I can't wait to share EVER with all of you soon!

So now, for the THANK YOUS: 

IMMENSE THANK YOUS to Sharon Bayliss for the contest opportunity and the priceless advice she offered on the changes that needed to be made in my first 500, as well as the advice from the other contestants.  YOU are the reason I am making this announcement today, so THANK YOU!

My gratitude for my crit partner will never be successfully put into words. Tamara Mataya - you are amazing, and talented, and so incredibly awesome. I can't believe I went my entire life without knowing you. Especially when we're clearly related. Duh. How could we not be? Thank you for your support and encouragement, and for always knowing how to pull me out of that damn tree. Your friendship means so much to me. 

HUGE thank yous go to all of my beta readers (Mom, Melissa, Michelle, Mat, Kathleen, Nanette - the list goes on and on.) You all watched EVER change and morph so many times and never complained about having to read it ... again and again and again. For the hundredth time. 
You all rock, and your support has been everything to me.  Thank you for loving me and believing in EVER. I am so truly blessed in friendship and love. 

Finally, and most importantly, Krystal.  Thank you for believing in EVER, and loving her as much as I do. I can't even express what this means to me. I'm so thankful and humbled. I can't wait to further get to know you and everyone at Curiosity Quills, and I am just beside myself with joy. I am so excited!


The moral of the story? 


Keep writing.
Keep querying.
Find an amazing critique partner who "gets" you, and "gets" your story. (An added bonus if they will send you pictures of sloths when you're feeling down.)
Enter every contest you can.
Trust in yourself.
Trust in God. 
And keep on keeping on.







45 comments:

  1. Congrats!! Super exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww your friendship means a lot to me too:) I made the thank you's! *points and laughs at all the people who didn't* Also, anyone who thought EVER wouldn't make it (like, two people in Lithuania) you can SUCK IT! EVER's awesome, and soon the world will know it!

    Also, you were a champ putting up with my ruthless critiques:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? As if you wouldn't make the thank you's!?!? Pssssh.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Wow wow wow! How exciting!!! There aren't enough exclamation points!!!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Jessa!!!! That is exciting, I'm so happy for you! I look forward to reading Ever one day soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your amazing words! You and Ever are going to do great! The story is amazing. Your energy and willingness to accept constructive criticism will carry you very far! Now celebrate! Oh, and I love the pictures! (You are so not a dork!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy for you! And I want to see you next week even more to give you hug now!Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY! That is so awesome! I know I randomly came across your blog two weeks ago, and I have no idea what your process with EVER has been, but I've read some of your flash fiction and it's good. You've got chops, lady, and I'm so happy for you that you've found an editor who seems to love it as much as she should! I'm excited to check it out when it becomes available. It's always good to hear about the process of other writers for those of us about to embark on that journey ourselves. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alissa! Its been a painful journey at times, and I almost shelved Ever a couple months ago. My critique partner Tamara (Feaky Snucker) wouldn't have it. I'm so glad she was so adamant about me trying for a little longer. Truthfully, I wasn't querying for very long - just since February. But the responses were all very much the same - no way, uh-uh, paranormal romance is so over, etc etc etc. I kept entering contests and then watching my confidence plummet each time. It was really hard, and I was very discouraged early on. But my CP made me persevere and I'm so glad I did! It just goes to show you that you never know!

      Delete
  8. This is so awesome! Congratulations, Jessa. Love your pics! You'll look back at them and be happy you were that kinda dork. ;) Whoo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is really cool Jessa! congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  10. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO awesome!!! congratulations!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. What an amazing story!!! YAAAAAAAAAAY CONTESTS! And that feeling, that a pro "gets" your story? The best. EVER.

    Congratulations sweetie! Could not be happier for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Leigh Ann!!! Its been an awesome week for us! :-)

      Delete
  12. Crying happy tears....(n)EVER give up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations Jessa! I'm so happy I got to play a part in your happy ending. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!! I'm pretty happy about it too, since if it wasn't for you I wouldn't be here now! :-)

      Delete
  14. Sooooooooooooo happy for you!! CONGRATS!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome Jessa. I'm new around here too! What a great blog, and Krystal is amazing! I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of each other. Good luck with your book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jessa, I hope you don't mind that I used your picture on my blog post. It was just too awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations, Jessa! It just goes to show that all it takes is one yes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done and congratulations, Jessa! Your runner-up became WINNER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its so crazy! I really wasn't expecting that! Thank you for the congratulations!

      Delete
  19. I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW it!!! I knew this was going to be a great book. I am so excited for you, but I have to be a little selfish here because this means I finally get to read this amazing book! You know, this blog post made me want to cry. I felt your disappointments and your discouragements as you entered contests and had your work critiqued and questioned. But your excitement of finally getting your book printed splashed off the page with such awesome happiness, it showered me too! Congratulations, Jessa!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THIS. THIS. THIS. A thousand times THIS. This comment made me smile and cry all at the same time, and I'll probably read it again and again! THANK YOU.

      Delete
  20. congrats! that's exciting news, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on your deal:) I really liked your entry and am sooooooo glad it got picked up!!! *clinks virtual glass* ~Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Somehow I didn't see this til now, but OMG! CONGRATULATIONS SUPER STAR! I'm so proud of you. I can't wait to read Ever in full, since despite what you might think about my meany ways, I'm fairly sure I'm going to LOVE IT! :D <3 Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete