Thursday, February 21, 2013

OCEAN KILLS by Jade Hart - Review + Bonus Material!

OCEAN KILLS

by 

Jade Hart

*A sexy New Adult thriller*



Around the world, murderers and rapists pick off the innocent. Killing loved ones, separating families, and ruining lives. 

As an eight-year-old girl, Ocean witnessed her family’s massacre and something altered inside her. Twisting her genetic code… unlocking an ability to teleport.

Ocean Breeze was never destined to be normal, especially having been named after air-freshener. She’s a shadow, a ghost—a dark saviour of the innocent. Armed with a switchblade in her bra, and a box-cutter in her pocket, she hunts the filth of the world. 

Callan Bliss is a Sydney police officer whose skill-set is far above that of a normal cop. All his fellow officers see is a hard worker who loves to catch perpetrators and surf, but that’s because they don’t know about his past. When Callan arrests a suspicious-looking prostitute, he comes face-to-face with a self-confessed vigilante, and suddenly, his secrets aren’t so easy to keep silent.

Ocean hates the police with a passion, and has no intention of being held captive by a cop, even if he is sexy as hell. Teleporting from under his nose, Ocean hunts her next target—a man responsible for the largest sex ring in South Africa—and now he’s about to die. But she doesn’t count on Callan giving chase, nor the body-quaking lust that consumes them. However, Ocean's dark hobbies take precedence over what her heart wants—her thirst for murdering is killing her too, and not even Callan can save her.

MY THOUGHTS:
Well, aside from the freaking ending - dammit, Jade! - I LOVED this book! I was so instantly in love with Callan, and so attached to Ocean, that it was impossible not to think of them when I wasn't reading. 

Callan Bliss is a sexy, strong male lead, whose determination and drive when it comes to pursuing Ocean is nothing short of swoon-worthy. Even bordering on stalker-status, I still adored him. He was right to never give up on her, and I cheered him along the entire way!

Ocean Breeze is a troubled, broken character, whose actions throughout the book could be frustrating, and at times I wanted to scream at her for her choices, but she was so lovable and relatable ... even though her situation was unlike anything I should be able to relate to. 

If you love DEXTER (Showtime TV Show), and you love fantasy/paranormal and delectable male leads, you will absolutely love OCEAN KILLS!


A SPECIAL GIFT, JUST FOR YOU GUYS:
I'm so excited to be able to share this with you! 


A sneak preview of Callan’s chapter in OCEAN SLAYS, sequel to OCEAN KILLS. Due for release early 2013. Disclaimer: Unedited version. Copyright Jade Hart 2013
CALLAN
“I want my bloody phone call.” I shouted at no one in particular. I sounded like a fucking parrot—repeating myself over and over since I’d been arrested and brought to the Perth Police Station.
My prison cell was a tiny excuse of space with a metal toilet, no sink, and a plank of wood they called a bed. It was only temporary—my assigned accommodation before I was processed and shuttled off to be denied bail and await a court date.
I'd locked enough men myself into similar cells in Sydney, but at least I never kept the perps cuffed. What was the point in keeping them shackled when they were behind bars?
I grinded my teeth as I tried to shift. My shoulders were sore from the rough handling by the security guard at Adrian Mathieu’s apartment, and my skin rubbed raw where the cuffs irritated me. Plus, I didn't make it any easier on myself by fidgeting and squirming. I couldn't sit still.
I was here because of Ocean. I was arrested for a murder I watched her commit. A murder I did nothing to stop. Was I guilty? An accomplice? By the lines of the law, yes, I was incredibly guilty. I allowed Ocean to bash in an old man's head with a whiskey bottle. But I couldn't agree he didn't deserve it. Karma finally found him and extracted the toll of raping Ocean when she was eight and taking her family from her.
My hands curled behind my back. The metal rings around my wrists jingled as my shoulders tensed. Despite being horrified at watching a murder committed right in front of me, I was happy for her. She’d put some of her ghosts to rest and she needed to do that.
I sighed heavily; my slightly too long hair tickled my forehead. I understood why she killed, and I wanted to believe she was just so caught up in the emotions and horror of what happened to remember to take me with her, but in my soul I knew what she said was true.
She didn't want me.
She'd locked away her heart and no matter how much hammering, cursing, and maneuvers I pulled, I couldn't unlock it without a key. And she didn't have one. I hoped in some corny way perhaps I could be a lock-smith and pick the lock. To force her to admit she needed companionship, love. But I was wrong. And it hurt too deeply to keep prodding at the hole she’d left in my chest. 
My teeth grinded as I glared at the wall. “None of that matters,” I muttered under my breath. None of it mattered because I wasn't interested in a woman who could leave an innocent person to take the rap—to suffer for a crime they didn't commit.
It wasn't fair. It wasn't right. And it showed me more about the darker side of Ocean than I wanted to see. It hurt me deeper than anything she could have done, and made me doubt everything.
I thought she was the perfect one for me. Someone who had secrets but was willing to share with me. It was all a lie and I was done. I couldn’t go through something like that again… hoping… wishing. Only to have those dreams crushed under a glass whiskey bottle.
“Bliss.”
My eyes shot to the officer standing with his arms crossed outside my cell bars. I sat straighter, wincing when the cuffs chaffed raw skin.
“You're allowed your phone call now.”
About bloody time.
I stood awkwardly and shuffled with stiff legs to the bars. The officer nodded at his colleague down the corridor to electronically unlock my cell. A loud beep and the bars slid open. Freedom. Thank bloody heaven.
The officer grabbed my bicep as I stepped past him. “Hey, mate. I don't get it. You worked for the Sydney force. What happened to you in a few short weeks to end up arrested for cold blooded murder?”
Shit. I should have seen this coming. Of course they'd do a background search on my name. Of course it would show my employment history with New South Wales police. “That's none of your business. And I didn't commit the murder. I was at the wrong place, wrong time. That's all.”
“Well, not sure how your old Captain Gray is gonna accept that. He's demanded you to be transferred to the NSW precinct to be filed for charges there. Our superior is fuming as the crime was committed in our jurisdiction. Lucky you, you might serve your sentence closer to family.”
The whole time he talked, he lead me through the finger printing and photo processing room and a small bank of dry-out cells for druggies.
My jaw ached from clenching so hard. Captain Gray knew about this. Could this get any worse? First, I ruin my career. Now, Ocean ruins my life.
“I just want my phone call, okay. Shut your pie-hole.” My voice was dark. I didn't care if that confirmed to him I was a ruthless killer with no remorse or feelings. I was sick to death of this whole mess. My fingers itched to press buttons on the telephone.
“Just making convo, dude. No need to bite my head off,” the officer snapped. “Here. Your five minutes begins now.” He ushered me into a windowless room with a viewing mirror on one wall, a desk, a chair, and a cell phone.
The door started to close behind me.
“Hey! Cuffs, you idiot. How am I supposed to work a phone with my hands behind my back?” My chest heaved. This whole station was run by a bunch of hicks. At least in Sydney the perps were uncuffed in the cells and were given their phone calls within half an hour of processing, not six hours later.
The officer rolled his eyes. “Oh yeah. Turn around.”
I spun and held my wrists out. His hands were slippery with sweat as he fumbled to unlock my shackles. When they were free, I lurched for the table and snatched the cell phone up as if it were the elixir of life. Ocean flickered into my mind as I stared at the black keypad.
How much I wished I had her number so I could call and scream at her. Tell her how much she let me down and shat on all my warm emotions toward her. She stole a piece of me, chewed it up, and left it to rot with the corpse of Adrian Mathieu.
Running a hand through my hair to get rid of those thoughts, I dialed the number I knew by heart.
It answered on the first ring. “Kim speaking.”
“Kim. I'm in jail.”


ABOUT JADE: 
Jade Hart is a self-confessed book worm who is happiest glued to a lap-top with an eternal battery life and typing up stories running rampant in her head.

Her three favorite things are:
1. Unlimited books on an Ebook Reader
2. Cracking the sugar on a creme brulee
3. Bunny rabbits

Jade currently resides in Middle-Earth, but has lived in Australia, England, and Hong Kong.

She writes New Adult 'smexy' fiction. Look for SAMSARA coming soon by Curiosity Quills Press, and the eagerly awaited Ocean Slays - book two of the Ocean Breeze Series. 

If she isn't writing, she's reading. And if she isn't reading, she's travelling. 




LINKS:

JADE:

OCEAN KILLS:  

No comments:

Post a Comment