Saturday, June 8, 2019

Finding Your Voice with Robin Rice + Emily McDowell - LESSON 1


I started a new course with Robin Rice and Emily McDowell, and, though I was absolutely not going to share my work publicly (outside of the course), I decided that maybe I should. Maybe I should be raw and vulnerable with all of you. Publicly. 

So, here I am. 

(Robin Rice's Training Your Inner Warrior course changed me in numerous ways, and I can't even begin to describe what a blessing it was to find her. That course is FREE right now, and I HIGHLY recommend it! If you're interested, you can find Training Your Inner Warrior on Robin's website.) 

Anyway, back to the task at hand! Finding Your Voice is a two-month course, with lessons every other day. Each day we will be given an image and writing prompt, as well as other options (writing haiku, quote+paragraph combo, etc), but as a writer who used to love participating in flash fiction prompts as often as possible, I have a feeling most days I will be drawn to the ten minutes of free writing prompt. I am going to share the results of said free writing here. 

Feel free to comment or critique, and if you've found me through the course, be sure to say hi and link me back to your blog! <3 

LESSON 1:

Photo Credit Eve Hannah

Photo + Story Start With 10 Minutes Timed Writing -
"I never said I wouldn't jump," she whispered aloud to herself. "So I can't be called a liar. Then again, if I do jump..."










"I never said I wouldn't jump," she whispered aloud to herself. "So I can't be called a liar. Then again, if I do jump..."
What will I be called?
Selfish.
Brave.
Courageous.
Who will come to my defense? Who will chastise me? Who will understand the reason for the leap? When I weigh the pros and cons, examine my options, my reasons, my fears, my dreams… which of these will win?
Jumping is not the easiest option. Jumping is not the act of a fearful woman, the act of someone who has given up. Jumping is not the end.
Jumping is the beginning. Of what exactly, I don’t know. Something strong, something that burns within me. Desire. Hope. A dream yet to meet fruition. A fire burns inside, pushing me further toward the edge, nudging me with gentle reminders, little bits of guidance from some greater force.
A whisper. You can do this.
You are brave.
You are courageous.
You are exactly the strong woman you wish to be.
She is you and you are her and
You. Are. Already. There.
Just jump.
Take the leap.
Do the thing.
See, this jump isn’t the end of anything, but a beautiful, intense, terrifying start. This is the next chapter, the turning of the page, the gift you’ve been waiting for, asking for, begging for.
This leap into the unknown is what it looks like when the stars align, the sun and the moon join together in complete congruity.
This is your moment.
Jump.

No comments:

Post a Comment