Thursday, July 17, 2014

On a personal note . . . SPEAK UP. REACH OUT. #suicideispreventable

I posted this on my personal page, and then I realized I wanted to reach so many more people than my circle of friends. So I'm stepping away from writing/bookish things. I hope you'll take the time to read this and share it.

Amy would have wanted that. 

I share a lot of funny (read: useless) stuff on Facebook and on most of my social media platforms. Sometimes I rant about parenting. Often, I promote my writing. This post is different.

One year ago today, a friend of mine decided to take her own life. She was one of the strongest, most passionate women I've ever known, and someone I respected greatly. We never even met in person.

From the outside looking in--and I want to stress that part: FROM THE OUTSIDE looking in--Amy had everything. All the things that are supposed to keep us grounded, anchored ... here. A loving family, both that which she was born into and the one she created, two beautiful daughters, a circle of friends that was wide and constantly growing wider ... yet she was obviously completely alone in her despair.

She was alone in a sea of people who loved and adored her. Respected her. Looked up to her. Needed her. And she left a wake of grief and confusion in her absence.

I'll never truly know what demons she fought, or what gave them the strength to overcome her love for this life and those she left behind. What allowed them to overcome her.

I write this post today, not for your comments of condolences, but for the slight chance that one of you feels alone in a sea of love and friendship. Please reach out. Please ask for help. Suicide is absolutely preventable.

Suicide is absolutely preventable.

Amy, you are so greatly missed. 

If you or someone you know is in need of help, there are so many sources. Please, I beg of you, REACH OUT. 

SUICIDE IS PREVENTABLE

No comments:

Post a Comment