Monday, July 23, 2012

Buccaneer Blogfest - WEEK THREE - Day One - What I'm Reading

Week THREE is already here! Time flies!

The assignment this week is to tell you about what I'm reading - the last three books I've read, and what's currently in my Kindle/Nook/on my bedside table. 


So, the last three books I read:


WILDE'S FIRE by Krystal Wade - FIVE STARS


My Goodreads Review:
My disclosure for this review is that Krystal Wade is my editor at Curiosity Quills, where my debut novel will be published by the end of the year. I am only disclosing this information because I have to admit that I was worried about reading WILDE'S FIRE. I'm ridiculous, I know. But here's a sneak peek into what was going through my mind: What if I didn't like it? What if I didn't like her writing style? What would that say about me, or about my own book that she picked out of dozens of manuscripts to offer publication to? What if .... aaaaaaaaaaaah!

So as I often do, I totally psyched myself out about it. PS. I psyche myself out about anything and everything, and almost always without reason. :-)

This was one of those times. Because wow, I LOVED WILDE'S FIRE! LOVED IT! I was immediately drawn into the story. I fell in love with the relationship between Kate and Brit, and I especially fell in love with Arland. *swoon* 

I set the book down upon finishing it, with tears in my eyes, and immediately ordered WILDE'S ARMY, which I am now reading with fervor. The worst part about this is that it was only just released, which means I will have to wait a very long and painful amount of time for WILDE'S MEADOW. Boo. 



WILDE'S ARMY by Krystal Wade - SIX STARS (Six out of five is fantastic!) 


My Goodreads Review:

If I could give WILDE'S ARMY six stars, I would. It was BETTER than WILDE'S FIRE, which I gave five stars to already, so a SIX star rating is the only thing that makes sense!!!

I cried so many times in this book because I felt SO MUCH EMOTION. Happiness, love, fear, sorrow ... to name a few.

I finished the book with tears streaming down my face, not knowing what to do with myself next. I honestly had that confused, shocked, stuck-in-an-imaginary-land feeling you occasionally see 'somecards.com' referencing.

There are a select few books I would read again. This series is one of them.

*NOTE: I want to add that this review may seem biased because Krystal Wade is my editor. I am telling you that it is not, and you have no reason to believe me. However, because she IS my editor, had I NOT liked the book, I would have remained silent and never bothered to leave a review. That's my honesty in all its glory.

WHAT A BOY WANTS by Nyrae Dawn - FOUR STARS


My Goodreads Review:
I loved this book and finished it in under 24 hours. I flew through it. Reading from a boy's point of view was a big change for me - aside from Jacob's chapters in TWILIGHT (which I loathed). Now, because the book was written by a woman, I still have no idea what the thoughts of a boy actually sound like, but I thought Nyrae Dawn did a great job with Sebastian. I believed that these were thoughts a teenage boy would have. 

I loved Sebastian instantly, and though other reviewers have said he was conceited and treated women poorly, I thought he treated women how most teen boys do. Sometimes, the truth hurts. *shrug* Pretty much all the guys I knew in my youth thought they were the cat's pajamas and their goals were to hook-up and hook-up OFTEN. So in this sense, Sebastian was exactly who he should have been. 

My only issue with the story was the amount of typos, which is why this was a 4-star review and not a 5-star. BUT even with the typos, I was completely immersed in Sebastian's world, which speaks volumes for the writing and the story itself. 

I should also add that this is the first book that I've read in longer than I can even remember, that didn't have some sort of paranormal, mysterious, suspenseful element, and I STILL loved it! That's saying something! ;-)

My current book is FAERIE TALE by Raymond E. Feist

Um, hi ... the cover art terrifies me. 

Now, you might be wondering WHY. I mean, if the cover art scares me, why am I reading this book?

Well, that's easy! You may not know this, but I am one/sixth of the SUPER REVIEWERS!  Saving the world, one book at a time. ;-) There are 6 of us now, and we each take turn picking the books. Then we post a group review that has 6 viewpoints.  It's really a great idea that Jalisa (JM Blackman) came up with. 

What's so awesome about the SUPER REVIEWERS, is that we're all different in our reading tastes, so you'll get varying reviews. You can visit the ABOUT US page to see who fits your reading style most, and their review will be the one likely to be most like yours.  Its a good way to see if a book would be a good fit for you. Our first review has been posted - BLACKBIRDS by Chuck Wendig.

So, FAERIE TALE was picked by one of the review team, and I've been told not to worry - the book isn't nearly as scary as the cover - and we should have our group reviews up in about a week or so. Stay tuned!!



4 comments:

  1. That group review sounds interesting. I simply must go and check it out.

    And yes. That Faerie Tale cover is scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool goodreads review. I've only just opened a profile on there. I'm not very good with technology stuff! lol. And I LOVED Wilde Fire and Wilde Army too - can't wait for Wilde Meadow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to have to add the What A Boy Wants to my goodreads list. You are the second person in the hop that is currently reading that book. Must be a sign! Great Reviews!

    ReplyDelete