Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Supporting Other Writers ...

... even if they suck.

Yeah, I said it.

Because some writers do suck. And some writers don't suck. And some singers are awesome. And some singers use auto-tune. And some teachers you'll remember your whole life. And some teachers you'll forget by the next class.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

Support other writers. PERIOD.

I was inspired to post this because of a post on Juliana Haygert's blog called ON LOVE TRIANGLES. *THIS IS NOT a rant, or anything negative towards Juliana AT ALL. I liked her post and I think you should go check it out and join in on the conversation. Its about love triangles, in case you couldn't tell by the title. And you all know I LOVE A GOOD LOVE TRIANGLE. Heehee.

So, back to Juliana's post. I could see both sides of what she was saying,and I agree wholeheartedly. A good love triangle, when done well, can be awesome. Now, when done badly, that same love triangle can be completely ridiculous, cliched and hard to read.

So what makes it good or bad?

Well, that's not my reason for posting this, so if you want to chime in, definitely go check out Juliana's blog post and share your thoughts. That's why we blog, right? To share, debate and hopefully - maybe - inspire?

My reason for posting this blog post was inspired not by Juliana's blog post necessarily, but by my thoughts while commenting on Juliana's blog post. Are you following my train of thought here? I hope?

My point is to remind you THIS:

Whether you like love triangles or hate them, or love vampires but hate werewolves, or think fairies are awesome, or hate fairies, or love zombies but only if they sparkle ... wait, that's vampires ... oh well, regardless ...


Always remember to support each other. 
Write the story in your heart - even if it has every cliche in the book. 
Write what makes YOU happy.
Just as long as you write


Embrace yourself as a writer. Embrace your writing friends. Even if you/they are YA PARANORMAL ROMANCE writers who after reading THIS POST on Rick Lipman's website are drunk as a skunk. That's ok, because guess what!? I'll join you!

It doesn't matter, as long as YOU are writing and YOU are happy.

I leave you with this sad truth: My dad died with his dream of writing a book remaining perfectly intact. Forever a dream, never a reality.

Don't let that happen to you. Get out there and write your story. Even if it sucks. *shrug*

6 comments:

  1. You know what. Forget about my post. Yours, though, is the way to go.
    You're absolutely right: "Write the story in your heart - even if it has every cliche in the book. Write what makes YOU happy."
    And I'm so sorry about your dad. I hope you can make his dream come true through you ;) *shakes pompoms*
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sure trying! His dedication page is just waiting to grace the first pages of my first novel ... some day. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I think this is my first time commenting on your blog, but I really wanted you to know that I agree with you entirely. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracey! For the most part, I've found that most writers are VERY supportive and many of us have built friendships through our writing and online activity. There's just those few that, well, aren't. This post is for them. You know, if they even read my blog. lol :-)

      Delete
  3. Yes Jessa. Write more of that awesome WIP so your fancy crit partner, moi, has something AWESOME to read! :D:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for that reminder! I'm happy with what I'm writing, even if every agent in the country thinks I should throw in the towel. I'll keep writing.

    Oh, and even though I don't write YA (yet, anyway), I played that drinking game the other night. Yeah, it wasn't pretty (4 drinks for me).

    ReplyDelete