Monday, June 4, 2012

Menage Monday Challenge #34 - Contest Entry

I haven't done any flash fiction for A LONG WHILE. So I jumped back in with the #MenageMonday Challenge over at Cara Micheals' DEFIANTLY LITERATE blog.

Entries must be no less than 100 words, and no more than 200 words.  You must use all of the prompts together.

The word prompt: "Its a dry heat."


 The picture prompt: 




The judge's additional prompt: Must use a full moon somewhere in the story. 

So, with that said, here's my entry:


It’s a dry heat.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard it. But, living out in Podunk Arizona now, I have to agree. It is dry. There is heat. It totally sucks. 

So I told my family to eff off and packed my bags. No biggie, I’m nearly eighteen anyway. Plus, my dad’s a total dick since he married Mercretia – yes, that is actually her name – and with my sister still back home in NorCal, I figured why the heck not?

So here I am.

You know, in hindsight, it might not have been the best idea I ever had. I figured it would be pretty easy to stick out my thumb and hitch a ride back to the coast. And it was easy. At first. The third ride got a little tricky. And by tricky I mean, the driver was a super-hot guy who wanted to eat me.

No, that’s not an innuendo. He literally tried to bite me. So now I’m out in the middle of the desert, the full moon hanging low in the sky, and some crazed maniac on my trail.

I’d say werewolves aren’t real, but his guttural howl begs to differ.  

200 words exactly.  Booyah. 

2 comments: