Monday, April 2, 2012

EXPOSING MYSELF

(aka My Biggest Regret as a Newbie Writer / aka The LONGEST Blog Post EVER)

Oh mah goodness! You actually thought I was going to expose myself didn't you? Perv. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I'm going to expose my shame and my biggest regret in my journey as a writer.

I've been writing for a few years now, but my first few ideas were put aside when EVER came to me. I think that when the idea strikes, you have to go with it or you risk losing it.

And so it was with EVER. I finished EVER in under a year, including the monstrous amount of editing and revising I had to do, thanks to my good friend the English major/teacher/librarian. It was brutal. It was awesome.

A few weeks ago I had to come to grips with the fact that my query is the worst thing ever. I've sent it to Query Shark, but Ms. Shark herself (Janet Reid) has been busy with The Liz Norris Pay It Forward Contest (in which I entered my baby, EVER - just to say I did it!) so she hasn't been fervently attacking any queries lately. Click on the link to stay up to date with details on the contest. Even if you didn't enter, I'm sure you will find some sick pleasure from watching all of us entrants get torn to shreds over all of our MANY mistakes. And there are MANY. *sheepish grin*

In my review of the steps I've taken thus far, and my painful look back at what queries I've sent to which agents, I've completely depressed myself.

It is PAINFULLY clear that I'm in desperate need of the vehement beating that only the Query Shark can provide. I should have waited until it happened before I started querying.

Damn you, hindsight.

I am learning so much every day. Seriously, SO MUCH. Through talking to other writers, following many agents and writers on Twitter, reading various writing blogs and agent websites, I'm already growing and maturing as a writer, and I haven't even published yet! It's exciting, and I love it.

Now, I am not one for regrets. I just don't believe in them. A friend's boyfriend once told her this: "Everything I've done has brought me to you." It stuck with me because its true. Very true. Everything I've done, in ANY aspect of my life, has made me who I am today, so I try not to dwell on the less-than-awesome things I've done.

But, alas, I've realized something in this writing process.

I have found that I do have one regret.

I should not have begun sending queries when I did. The agents that received the worst version of my query letter will never know if my writing is any good, and I'll never know if they like my story. They probably never even got past the pathetic excuse for a query. So I failed in that sense. I did NOT put my best foot forward, or make the best first impression I could have. But I'm not giving up, and I've given my query the best makeover I possibly can with what I know, what I've read, and what my smartypants friends think. Is it the best query ever? Heck no. Does it reflect my writing ability? Double heck no.

BUT. And there is a BUT.

I have decided to stop making myself crazy for a while and focus on my writing, not my query.

So, I have shelved my beloved first novel, my story of EVER. The queries have all been sent. I set a query goal for myself with how many queries I would send (my secret to keep), and I obtained it. The rest is in the hands of the agents. If they pull me out of the slush pile, I will be MORE than ecstatic. If no one does, I will be highly disappointed, but I will continue to write. I know that I will get better with each word I type. My characters will grow, my stories will morph and change, and eventually, I WILL write the story that just has to be heard [read]. I'm striving to be better in every aspect of my life - it's what we are supposed to do as humans, and especially as adults - so why not also strive for maturity and growth in my writing? It seems like a no-brainer.

So. You want to know if I'm exaggerating about how awful my queries are, don't you?

Well, you're in luck. I'm posting my queries for you. It's a good way to inflict pain on myself, and I'm kind of a masochist .... no, no, I'm kidding. I'm not really a masochist. (Well, we all are a little bit as writers, aren't we? Why else would we put our cherished writing out there for the world to critique?)

But seriously, why not show you the mess of query writing I've been through? Why not expose my worst qualities now? Maybe I'll help someone in the future by doing so. Maybe you'll read my queries and see that you've made a similar mistake and I'll inspire you to REVISE REVISE REVISE!

So, for you, my faithful reader (yes, leaving that singular was the point), I will share two versions of my query for EVER - the first and last drafts. ***Please note that though there have been many changes and revisions along the way, and many faces of this query between point A and point B, I will only post the first and last. Posting them all would take an insane amount of time, and possibly run the risk of boring you to death; leaving me with not even one faithful reader.***

And so I present my FIRST query:

Dear Agent,

Ever Van Ruysdael knows firsthand just how finicky impossible can be.

The existence of ghosts. Impossible. Until she sees them with her own eyes.

Falling in love with a ghost. Impossible. Until she falls in love with Frankie.

But Ever pushes those feelings aside, because really, what kind of level-headed teenager falls in love with a ghost?

When Toby moves in next door, Ever is drawn to him inexplicably, and for someone who’s mastered the art of ignoring feelings, she finds she is absolutely helpless when it comes to ignoring him.

Now Ever is in love with two very different guys, only one of them who is actually alive, and if that in itself isn’t complex enough, she begins receiving cryptic warnings to stay away from Toby, while having frequent nightmares that threaten the safety of Frankie.

Confounding things further, Toby’s gorgeous and conniving ex-girlfriend shows up, hell-bent on getting Toby back, and willing to stop at nothing to do so.

Ever discovers how impossibly far Toby’s ex-girlfriend is willing to go to get what she wants, and in the end, what happens to Frankie has impossible staring Ever straight in the face.

EVER is a YA paranormal novel, complete at just over 74,100 words.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Jessa Russo


And now, the most recent query. The last query. The "good" query. (YIKES!)

Dear Agent:

Two years ago, the only aspect of seventeen-year-old Ever Van Ruysdael’s life that could be deemed unusual was her homeschool education. But that was before her house became a crossroads for the dead. Not only was Ever forced to accept the very existence of ghosts, but she had to learn to share her most intimate spaces with the few that were unable to leave. Taking it a step further, Ever has fallen hopelessly in love with Frankie: an eighteen year old who has been dead since the late 1950's. Unbeknownst to Ever, Frankie is in love with her as well, and has been since long before she even knew he existed. Frustrated and hopeless, both friends keep their growing love for one another a secret. The fact that their undeclared love is physically impossible remains a painful unspoken truth between them.

Desperate for a normal, attainable connection and trying to get over her futureless feelings for Frankie, Ever pursues a relationship with Toby, who moves into the house next door. Good looking and charismatic, Toby inserts himself into Ever’s life – and the position Frankie has longed for – with little effort.

With the sudden appearance of nightmares, gripping fear begins to consume Ever’s nights. She awakes drenched with sweat, tangled in her sheets, and calling out for Frankie; remembering only a desperate need to find him. Responding to her cries, Frankie begins coming into her room at night, his compassion and concern for her adding fuel to the fire in her heart. She spends her days in a seemingly normal relationship with Toby. Her nights in secret with Frankie. All the while, her heart continues to be torn in two different directions.

Unbeknownst to Ever, falling in love with Toby meant putting Frankie’s soul in danger. Thrown into a situation bigger than she realized, Ever must choose between the two boys, knowing that the consequences could be catastrophic for all involved. Innocently or not, she has started something that must be finished, regardless of whose soul gets lost in the process.

EVER is a paranormal YA novel, complete at just over 71,000 words. As EVER is the first manuscript I have queried, I don't have any prior publishing credentials to provide you with. I feel that there is an honest and raw vulnerability in YA that is lacking in much of the mainstream adult fiction. I am striving to write YA in a voice that is not condescending to the YA reader; a voice that is open and truthful.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Jessa Russo



ARE YOU EMBARRASSED FOR ME YET??????

You'll notice that my queries are not very personalized. I went with a TEENY bit of personalization in the most recent one, but with no fancy degrees and no prior publishing credentials, its kind of hard to church yourself up. I DID send a personalized query letter to a few agents who asked for funny, personalized and witty, and I'm KICKING MYSELF for it now. Those agents must have laughed their agenting rumps off. Seriously. Its that bad. TOTAL crap.

I've decided to stick with a formal, more professional approach from here on out.

And no, I absolutely WILL NOT share my "personalized" query letter with you. EVER. Don't even ask.

17 comments:

  1. I completely get it. I wish I'd held off querying until my query was perfected. I'll never know which ones were genuine not right for me at this time responses, and which were just no's because my query was terrible.

    But I'll eventually get there, and so will you! From what I've read, I'm already interested in your book:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! My first comment came from someone whose blog I read! *grin*

    I just tweeted this because I think you're brilliant.

    "3. It's a word! Grow the fuck up. Quit turning swear words into Voldemort. They only have the power that you give them."

    I hope we BOTH get our agents soon. The waiting is killing me. Someone mentioned earlier this week that waiting for a response to a submission is like waiting for a guy to call after a one-night stand. Agreeing with that statement is admitting that I actually know what that feels like, but alas, its the truth! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiting SUCKS! I'm the most impatient (and neurotically insecure about my work) person ever. I think my writing is good, until I send it to someone, and then it's like, 'omg. omgomgomg. Why aren't they writing back? Well, wait, if they respond too quickly it's got to be a rejection. I hope no one responds for a week. Two weeks. One week. Two weeks is too long. Is a week too long? No, I don't want an agent who has nothing to do, and is sitting around twiddling their thumbs. They should be fairly busy working for their client. Omg. OMG. Did I send an old version of my MS?! No. No, it's okay. OMG. Response email from an agent. I don't even have to open it to know they hated it and they're going to tell me what a hack I am and how I should stop writing... hey! It's a full request! YES! OMG! Wait... omg. Now when they reject it it's because they hate the writing, not the query!' *flails* etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, hey, at least YOU get requests for fulls! ;-) (Oops, now you know the truth about my querying = no full requests from agents yet.)

    I'm like you in the sense that I thought my writing was good too - so much so that I had confidence to spare. I had NO doubt I would find an agent for my first completed manuscript. Now, not so much. I'm almost embarrassed of how confident I was going into this. I feel like the universe decided to bring me down a few notches, and now I just worry that the humble pie will turn into defeat. Does that make sense?

    I keep telling myself that its a numbers game; that with each no, I'm closer to the yes, you know? But then a cynical little voice in my head pops up and asks me how long I can keep saying that? Like, when is it just a lie I tell myself?

    Grrrrrr. Maybe I'm just having a pity party today. I need to snap out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I completely get you. Btw, both full requests said no - one gave me a FORM rejection, and the other rejection was incoherent (which makes me glad that agent said no. I mean really, their sentences should make sense right?). It definitely sucks. I've only gotten one rejection (from a query) that gave me some insight as to why some agents aren't requesting my MS. She said that in her experience, books about rock and roll don't sell, and she's had her hand burnt before. It makes sense - there aren't that many books about music out there (at least not adult fiction), but it still sucks. And I've never had a crit partner, and I have only had a few beta readers, so it's hard to know what to do. I laugh when I hear about authors saying they had ten rejections before landing an agent. I have like, pages of rejections in my email.

    But in the meantime I'm writing another book (okay, two more because I flit from one to the other when I get stuck on one), and that helps keep the worry down. I'm almost sure that this book won't be the one to land me an agent, but that my next one will. And if that's the case, then when I get one published, I can say - hey. I've got this other one sitting around here...

    Even after I beat the Query Shark, I still get rejections. FORM rejections. :'( It really is subjective. But that's the hardest thing to keep in mind.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, their sentences should absolutely make sense! That's a bit scary! Same with typos. I've seen them on a few copy-editing websites and I'm like, "Wait. I'm allowed to have a few typos, but YOU do this professionally. Wtf?" I had one rejection letter that was a complete BLOCK of writing. I had to restrain myself from sending it to Janet!

    We should start a blog for critiquing rejection letters:

    Rejection Raptors: Ripping Apart Your Rejection Letters
    (Or: Why Your Rejection Letter Didn't Spark Our Interest)

    LOL!

    THIS:
    "I laugh when I hear about authors saying they had ten rejections before landing an agent. I have like, pages of rejections in my email."

    I have an Excel spreadsheet that would knock your socks off. My rejections are in pink, so you can imagine how pretty and frilly it is.

    AND THIS:
    "I'm almost sure that this book won't be the one to land me an agent, but that my next one will. And if that's the case, then when I get one published, I can say - hey. I've got this other one sitting around here..."

    That is EXACTLY the state of mind I am *trying* to keep. Its really hard though. REALLY hard. I am working on my next one as well, and I love it. Its better than the first book, but then, I thought that one was amazing too - until I queried! Lol

    And PS: I should never speak to you again for using that dreaded word: subjective. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If it makes you feel any better, I have to sigh and steel myself inside whenever I say it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jessa,

    I really like your second query. It's a big improvement from the first one. The only thing I would try to do would be to shorten it up a bit. Your description of the story is so awesome that you have me wanting to read it by the end of the first paragraph. So... maybe cut out some of the later part? In the last paragraph, since you don't have any credentials to give you a boost (don't worry --I don't either), perhaps just end the paragraph after 71,000 words.

    Good luck!! Wishing you all the best in finding an agent. :)

    Btw, my email is writerlious (at) gmail.com if you and Sarah and other Janet Reid contestants might want to swap and crit each other's queries?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin! Thank you for your tips and suggestions on my query. As you already know, this query has been my own personal Hell on earth! ;-) But, unfortunately, I did that to myself by researching too much and making myself crazy.

      I am actually working on some rewrites for the story, and I think with those changes and everyone's tips, my new query will be so much better.

      Thank you for your help!!

      Delete
  9. Actually, instead of email, I've just posted mine at:

    http://erinbradypike.com/critique-my-query/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Jessa!

    I've enjoyed reading your comments on the contest blogs and followed the link you posted.

    I agree with what E.B. Pike said in her comment. Maybe break that first paragraph in half?

    I see one other thing you might consider. You begin many of your sentences with phrases. It toys with the cadence (for me) and breaks the flow of ideas.

    You ladies are very brave for sharing! I will get mine up tonight.

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann! Thank you for your tips and for taking a look at my crappy query. I'm trying very hard to make some changes and everyone's tips have been really helpful.

      Of course, then I look at my query again and have NO idea what to do! Seriously, I'm convinced that queries will be the death of me. :-)

      Anyway, thank you fore your help! I will keep you all posted when the new query sees the light of day.

      Delete
  11. Hey Jessa,
    First, thank you so much for your critique of my novel. I really appreciate it! Now, to your query…

    You have a great voice, and I like the casual, YA tone in the first version. But the second version is definitely stronger. I would love to see some of that voice carry over into the second version. I love the first sentence, but you might want to condense the rest of the paragraph and the next into just a few sentences to cut back on the backstory: “Now, she’s in love with Frankie, the , 18-year ghost who lives in her house. Realizing they can never have a normal relationship, Ever turns to the boy next door…”

    I like the basis of the story (and the paranormal romance aspect!), but I don’t feel like I know enough about who Ever is or what is it about these boys that makes her love them. Apart from the paranormal aspect, what makes the characters stand out? If she’s in love with Frankie, what draws her to Toby?

    I’m not suggesting getting too into the backstory, but we do need a feel for who they are and why she’s willing to fight for them. What’s at stake for Ever? What happens in the story besides being in love? How does dating Toby put Frankie in danger? Be specific. Also, what happens that’s so catastrophic? Don’t just hint at it, show us what’s at stake. (You don’t have to give the ending away, but you do need to show enough of the story to get the agent interested.)

    From what I’ve read, I would not say this if your first novel or mention that you don’t have any publishing credits. They will assume this is your debut if you haven’t mentioned any other projects, so no need to point it out. I would cut all of the last paragraph but the first sentence. Show them how your voice is not condescending, don’t tell them that’s what you want to do. Keep it simple.

    Good luck with your revising and querying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! Thank you for all of your thoughts! I was happy to read that you were able to get a feel for the YA voice in my query. Its been hard for me to find a happy medium between being professional, but also letting the voice of the story shine through. It still needs work, but I've gotten such great suggestions from all of you and a few other critiques, so hopefully I will be able to whip my query into shape.

      Thank you for your help!

      Delete
  12. Hey Jessa, I finally got around to critiquing your query, nearly a week after you reviewed mine. First taxes, then I had a hard time finding it until I remembered that you had a link to it in a post on Janet Reid's blog.

    And, yes, I'm the woman who ill-advisedly dissed YA. As a YA author myself, I've grown so used to other writers not taking me seriously that I guess I've subconsciously adopted their attitude -- that YA fiction is somehow 'less'. Again, all apologies.

    I don't think your first query sucked. I actually like the tone of the first half of it. The short sentences and repeated use of the word 'Impossible' give it a very distinctive voice. You should not be cringing over having sent it out.

    Following are some suggestions about how I'd revise your second query. Like you, I'm a novice writer, so you might want to take what you find useful and ignore the rest. Due to the 4096-character limit on your blog, I had to cut my critique into two (or maybe three) parts and post them separately.

    "Two years ago, the only aspect of seventeen-year-old Ever Van Ruysdael’s life that could be deemed unusual was her homeschool education. But that was before her house became a crossroads for the dead. "
    The hook here is the fact that Ever's house is a crossroads for the dead, so you should start with that. Is her being homeschooled somehow relevant to the fact that dead people suddenly seem to be passing through her house? If not, you don't need the first sentence. And since your query is weighing in at over 400 words, a good place to cut. Maybe something like: 'Ever Van Ruysdael was living the life of a typical homeschooled teenager, until she discovered that her house had become a crossroads for the dead.'

    "Not only was Ever forced to accept the very existence of ghosts, but she had to learn to share her most intimate spaces with the few that were unable to leave."
    Good. So she's forced to accept the existence of ghosts because they're basically hanging around her house all day. And the fact that some are unable to leave suggests that there's no malicious intent on their part. They just can't figure out a way to leave.

    "Taking it a step further, Ever has fallen hopelessly in love with Frankie: an eighteen year old who has been dead since the late 1950's. "
    'Taking it a step further,' sounds a little awkward. Maybe something like 'Further complicating her new life among the ghosts'.

    "Unbeknownst to Ever, Frankie is in love with her as well, and has been since long before she even knew he existed. "
    'Unbeknownst' sounds a little stilted. Maybe "What she doesn't yet realize is that Frankie is in love with her as well . . "

    "Frustrated and hopeless, both friends keep their growing love for one another a secret." It might sound better to say 'Frustrated over the hopelessness of their love' at the beginning of this sentence.

    "The fact that their undeclared love is physically impossible remains a painful unspoken truth between them." Very nice writing.

    "Desperate for a normal, attainable connection and trying to get over her futureless feelings for Frankie, Ever pursues a relationship with Toby, who moves into the house next door. Good looking and charismatic, Toby inserts himself into Ever’s life – and the position Frankie has longed for – with little effort."
    Another great piece of writing. I'd get rid of the phrase 'futureless feelings', though. Maybe 'trying to get over feelings for Frankie that she knows can never be physically expressed', or something to that effect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "With the sudden appearance of nightmares, gripping fear begins to consume Ever’s nights."
    Is Ever having nightmares because of the ghosts (and, hey -- who wouldn't?), or because she loves someone she can't have? You might want to be a little more specific here. If it's about the ghosts, maybe something like 'As the presence of the ghosts starts to overwhelm her, she begins experiencing horrible nightmares. Her nights become increasingly consumed by fears she's helpless to control.'


    "She awakes drenched with sweat, tangled in her sheets, and calling out for Frankie; remembering only a desperate need to find him. Responding to her cries, Frankie begins coming into her room at night, his compassion and concern for her adding fuel to the fire in her heart. She spends her days in a seemingly normal relationship with Toby. Her nights in secret with Frankie. All the while, her heart continues to be torn in two different directions."
    The tangled sheets are good, providing a strong visual of how distraught Ever is. Good development of the central conflict here. I might get rid of 'remembering only a desperate need to find him', since her need for Frankie is kind of implied -- she's in love with him plus he's a ghost in serious psychic pain who can empathize with her torment.

    "Unbeknownst to Ever, falling in love with Toby meant putting Frankie’s soul in danger."
    I dunno, the word 'unbeknownst' always sounds a little stilted to me when used in contemporary fiction. Maybe something more along the lines of 'What Ever doesn't know, can't possibly know, is that falling in love with Toby has put Frankie's soul in grave danger.'

    "Thrown into a situation bigger than she realized, Ever must choose between the two boys, knowing that the consequences could be catastrophic for all involved. "
    So whatever she decides is catastrophic to all three? I'm thinking that any hurt feelings or disappointments in love that either Ever or Toby might experience pales in comparison to Frankie's soul being in danger. Wouldn't Frankie be the one to suffer the greatest consequences of Ever's decision? Or did I miss something earlier.

    "Innocently or not, she has started something that must be finished, regardless of whose soul gets lost in the process."
    Again, whose soul is at risk here, besides Frankie's? And why?

    "EVER is a paranormal YA novel, complete at just over 71,000 words. As EVER is the first manuscript I have queried, I don't have any prior publishing credentials to provide you with. I feel that there is an honest and raw vulnerability in YA that is lacking in much of the mainstream adult fiction. I am striving to write YA in a voice that is not condescending to the YA reader; a voice that is open and truthful."
    I agree with the previous Susan - lose everything except the first sentence here. The agent doesn't need to know that you're a novice with no previous publishing experience. These things are true for probably about 85-90% of us. And you shouldn't have to explain why you wrote the book the way you did. Just let the book stand on its own merits. Whether it was written in a voice that's open and truthful or not is up to the particular agent being queried to decide.

    Jessa, you've got a strong premise for a good paranormal YA novel here. Based on some of the reviews I've read about Liz Norris' book, your novel shares a common theme -- the unattainable love between a human and a being from another plane of existence (a ghost in your case, and I think an alien in UNRAVELING). So maybe on that basis alone, you might be a finalist!

    As far as your query is concerned, you face the same issue as I do. It's far too long. Cutting most of the last paragraph removes almost 70 words, which certainly helps. But you need to cut another 100 words or so.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Jessa,
    I found your blog on Query Shark (and also Feaky Snuckers’), and have enjoyed both your comments and blogs. I precis the below comments with I’m the antithesis of an expert, but I looked at your query. Have scrapped out a shorter version (hope that’s not presumptuous). Brackets are my extraneous comments. If I’ve overstepped the blog’s boundaries, my abject apologies.

    Dear Agent:

    Ever Van Ruysdael accepts ghosts exist. She has no choice; her house has become a crossroads for the dead. What peeves her is some of the dear-departed souls just can’t seem to leave. Eighteen-year-old Frankie, dead since the late 1950s, though, is the exception: Ever falls for him.

    A love affair with a ghost smacks impossible when you can’t even touch each other. So, when charismatic Toby moves in next-door, Ever embraces the chance of a normal relationship, even if it comes saddled with a conniving ex who will stop at nothing to get him back.

    But when Ever’s nights become nightmares and Frankie is the one she needs, her heart becomes locked in a tug of war that may become catastrophic: for her, for Toby, but most of all for Frankie. (Because???????)

    Whether Ever likes it or not, her love for Frankie started something that demands a choice be made, regardless of whose soul may become lost in the process.

    A paranormal YA novel, EVER is 71,000 words.

    A devotee of themed parties, home-schooling and complete and total opposites (well, you do have a great dane and a chihauhau), I also blog at xxxxxxx. (Gets around no publishing creds but I have a nasty memory that Query Shark doesn't like blogs being mentioned).

    Thank you for your time and consideration.

    Sincerely,


    PS I love your "Rejection Raptors" idea.

    ReplyDelete